[RFC] libinput configuration interface

Eugen Friedrich friedrix at gmail.com
Sat Feb 8 14:18:01 PST 2014

Hallo Jonas,
Thanks for fast replay, basically we have already proprietary
implementation in place to fulfil requirements from different customers.
Now we are looking forward to find a good open source component to
contribute our knowledge, experience and maybe code.
Since we using wayland, libinput library will be a perfect candidate.

The aim of my email was to find out if our requirements/ ideas are
acceptable for the community. I notice that you start discussion about
the configuration of the libinput library and thought it a good time to
put my 2 cents. If the first ideas makes sense for community we will
come up with a concrete requirements and proposals.

On 07.02.2014 09:52, Jonas Ådahl wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 06, 2014 at 11:28:49PM +0100, Eugen Friedrich wrote:
>> Hi together,
>> i would like to put some input from the embedded/ automotive perspective.
>>
>> you can think about huge amount of different configurations for different
>> device types.
>> A lot of configuration in the initial post deals with behavior of buttons
>> and scrolling
>> areas of the touch panels.
>>
>> The good approach could be a kind of general configuration of button and
>> scrolling areas of the touch panels
>> the button area could contain a position and dimension of the button in the
>> device coordinate system and the button code
>> the slider area could contain a position and dimension of the slider along
>> with the range.
>
> I'm not completely sure what you are talking about. Do you mean you want
> configurable button (and scroll) areas of touch pad or tablet devices? I.e.
> not a touch device that has a built in output screen. The idea, AFAIK, is
> that for various touchpad devices, these kind of details should be internal
> to the libinput device backend in question. That being said, this
> doesn't make it impossible to introduce such configuration in the
> future.

Yes, I was thinking about adding configuration for new devices with
configurable button and scroll areas.
If you have to develop a new device e.g. smartphone where the virtual
buttons are outside of the screen area. In this case the touch driver
has to take care of sending an button event when user touch the
particular area of the touch panel.
The proposed configuration will make you independent of specific driver
implementation and you can use different touch panels and putt you
buttons/scroll areas wherever you wont.

>> Also the weston code contains calibration of the absolute values.
>> It would be good also to have a calibration possibilities in libinput.
>
> This calibration, based on an udev rule, is already possible in libinput.
> It is automatic when using the udev backend it is possible to manually
> calibrate using libinput_device_calibrate() when using the path backend.
Yes, thanks for the advice I saw it. The available configuration covers
already a part from our requirements.