[RFC] libinput configuration interface

Dominic Jänichen d.newsgroups at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 17:33:53 CET 2014

On Mon, 03 Feb 2014 11:02:42 +1000, Peter Hutterer wrote:

> tbh, I'm not planning to support every potential option under the sun.
> There's a fine and rather blurry line between what is a preference and
> what is merely configuration because we can't commit to a single
> default. I'd rather have less configuration options and support those
> well and do the synaptics approach of supporting everything but being
> quite bad at how the various options interact.

<snip>

> As for the softbuttons config items, I'm somewhat leaning towards finger
> movement in the button areas, but no clicks outside the button area. And
> to actually trigger a button, you need to start inside the button area -
> which becomes easier when you have proper finger tracking (synaptics
> currently doesn't).

Does that imply the following use case will be supported?

Being used to TP trackpoints, I am using the index finger outside the
button area (on a touchpad that doubles as one hardware button) and the
thumb to "click".
I'd expect to able to move the pointer with the index finger while
clicking, disregarding slight thumb movements while doing so.

This seems to very difficult to archieve (if at all) with the synaptics
driver; the points jumps widely, especially if the index finger is
removed from the touch pad immediately before clicking.

I can imagine that this boils down to having areas insensitive to motion,
but still working as softbuttons.

Dominic