Inter-client surface embedding

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 09:26:27 PST 2014

On 02/19/2014 02:42 AM, Pekka Paalanen wrote:

> Besides, it's not that much code, really. clients/nested.c is 1140
> lines, and that includes support for EGL-passthrough so that
> nested-client.c can efficiently use GLES rendering.

Sample code like this does help a lot.

I would still be worried that a client is going to screw up support for
something that does not work on that developer's machine, for instance
EGL does not work on mine, or some complex synchronization protocol. It
is not clear if there is some kind of generic wayland message so the
subcompositor client can just pass messages both ways without really
understanding them.

>> For my purposes I don't plan to resolve this.  I'm going to make a
>> mate-panel-specific pair of interfaces that are used by mate-panel and
>> libmatepanelapplet respectively, and not worry about the interactive
>> resize issue because you can't interactively resize panels.
>
> A wise decision. :-)

I am still worried that he prefers writing a shell plugin over writing a
client program because of this. It seems like we may end up with a lot
of shell plugins for reasons users do not understand. If subcompositors
are the way to go then this should be addressed so that people are
encouraged to use them.