[RFC] libinput configuration interface

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 23:49:06 PST 2014

> Touchpad data is always subjective :) it depends on finger size,
> conductivity and a whole bunch of other factors. what does help though is
> having evemu recordings of certain events. They may still be subjective but
> they're reproducible, allowing us to fine-tune based on a specific event
> sequence and then go from there.
>
> e.g. you can take a recording fo an example one-finger tap and then make
> sure that that always produces a tap event. if you build up a database of
> these events, you can cover events quite well for a multitude of devices and
> users.

OK. Attached are some sample recordings from my touchpad, while the
synaptics driver is in use (for visual feedback).

left-clicks.rec: 10 left clicks. Any pointer movement is not intended
and should be rejected by the driver.

move-and-double-tap{,2}.rec: contains finger movement to a certain
word on the screen, followed by double-tapping on that word. The
synaptics driver, however, converted one of these into a tap-and-drag.

move-tap-and-drag{,2,3}.rec: contains finger movement to a certain
word on the screen, followed by attempting to select a certain part of
it by tapping and dragging. In one case, contains a non-deliberate
vertical-movement error that led to selecting a line of text.

pretend-close-pidgin.rec: just an attempt to move the pointer to the
center f the close button of Pidgin.

pretend-close-pidgin-bad.rec: the same, but, upon removing the finger,
the synaptics driver picks up unwanted motion. Basically, the last
reported point before removing the finger should have been discarded
as invalid.

scroll-up.rec: scrolling the text up, 10 times.

swipe3-right: some three-finger swipes to the right on a touchpad that
can track only two fingers. Contains BTN_TOOL_TRIPLETAP.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov