Announcing Termistor, a drop-down, tabbed, terminal for Wayland

Giulio Camuffo giuliocamuffo at gmail.com
Wed Jan 1 06:54:23 PST 2014

2013/12/30 Bill Spitzak <spitzak at gmail.com>:
> Can you explain what this extension does? It is not very clear from the docs
> or from the Orbital video. My guess is that it makes F11 map/unmap the
> surface.

That is an implementation detail. In my implementation the surface is
always mapped, and pressing F11 just moves it to slide it up and down.

> I think it would be better to make an api by which the client gets the fact
> that F11 was pushed (ie the binding proposed in another email) and the
> client then maps/unmaps the surface, rather than tying the binding and the
> action together so closely.

Some global binding api is not enough. The problem this extension
solves is the actual placement of the surface on the top border of the
screen. The client has no way to place it there itself.
The animation could be done by the client though, yes, once there is a
global binding api.