XWayland security, equals to X11 or Wayland?

Tobias Sarnowski tobias at sarnowski.io
Fri Jan 3 11:59:39 PST 2014

Hi there,

I try to get into Wayland as it promises to separate applications from each
other. With X11, every application can get all event inputs and window
contents of every other running application. AFAIK this issue is solved
with Wayland. Now, we will need to have XWayland running for a long time
until everything is recompiled with Wayland support. My question is, on
which side does XWayland operate? From the highlevel documentation at
http://wayland.freedesktop.org/xserver.html I conclude, that the X11
support is done via having a single Wayland client which then multiplexes
the stuff internally to all X11 clients. So my guess is, that all X11
applications that work via XWayland have access to eachother but not other
native Wayland clients. Or are the X11 clients already separated ike
Wayland clients, so that this security aspect is already solved for those?

Please correct me if I have any wrong conclusions or knowledge.

Thanks,
Tobi