Authorized clients

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 11:43:46 PST 2014

On Tue, 7 Jan 2014 14:26:36 -0500
"Jasper St. Pierre" <jstpierre at mecheye.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 9:07 AM, Martin Peres
> <martin.peres at free.fr> wrote:
>
> > Would it be ok for you if the compositor asked the user to
> > agree for the program to
> > do the operation? If so, we can guarantee that this is really
> > the user's intent and
> > allow the application. We can also add a security warning with
> > a "Do not ask again"
> > checkbox. Would it be satisfactory to you?
> >

> The user opened up a screen recording app. The user's intent is
> very much to record the screen. We don't need to ask the user
> again with a prompt.

For just screenshooting and recording, how about a simple setting
"allow all programs capture the screen? yes/no" in the compositor's
configuration dialog? Since it sounds like any automatic
authentication/authorization scheme is going to hit cornercases.

With that, write a screenshooting protocol interface, that is
bindable for all clients, and informs the client whether capturing
at will is allowed or not. When not, the client can show an
informational message "Screen capturing is disabled in your
compositor preferences."

Make that support dynamic enable/disable and make access denied a non-fatal error.