Authorized clients

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Tue Jan 7 11:53:07 PST 2014

Hi,

On 7 January 2014 19:22, Maarten Baert <maarten-baert at hotmail.com> wrote:
> @Martin Peres: Your ideas are nice in theory, but as Sebastian Wick already
> said, it is just not practical.
>
> If you want a specific example, I have one:
> https://github.com/MaartenBaert/ssr
> The sole purpose of this application is to record the screen (i.e. take 30
> screenshots per second). People are using this - the latest version has been
> installed about 13.000 times on Ubuntu alone (and that number is still
> growing). I know that's not a lot in the big picture, but clearly it is not
> an 'extremely rare case'.
>
> I really want to add Wayland support to this application. In fact that's why
> I'm here, discussing an API to authenticate my program so I can actually
> start to think about adding Wayland support. Your answer seems to be that
> the user should continuously hold down a button on their keyboard in order
> to record their screen. That's just not acceptable. I will simply have to
> tell users to disable the security features in Weston completely so they can
> use my application - and most of them will probably have no problem with
> that, because the average user doesn't care about security, especially when
> it is something trivial like the ability to take screenshots. Seriously - a
> rogue application can install a keylogger, steal my saved passwords and
> browser cookies, ssh and pgp keys, delete all my files and even my backups,
> but luckily it can't take screenshots! I do not want to tell users to
> disable security features, but if these features make it completely
> impossible for an application to function, then I have no choice.

Alternately, you can just have a hotkey which triggers video
recording, or since your compositor's likely to be the one launching
your screen recorder, it already knows that the client is trusted to,
well, record the screen.

> It seems like your proposed solution is to take away all control from the
> user for their own good, and that is just not going to work. Any security
> feature that stops the user from doing something he/she wants will be
> disabled by the user.

Yes, presuming it does actually take meaningful features away from the
user.  This doesn't preclude the possibility of screen recording, so
your argument doesn't apply here.

Cheers,
Daniel