Screen shooting and recording protocols (Re: Authorized clients)

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Fri Jan 10 10:47:45 PST 2014

I'm pretty certain what is being requested is a rectangle of some
output. The video recorder will record whatever pixels are inside that
rectangle, even if the surface used to choose it is moved away from it
or if other surfaces enter it.

The compositor must be able to set a stride value on the buffer so it
can send the cropped rectangle from a buffer that is the size of the output.

I think "recording a window" sounds a lot like another output (as in a
montior). Then all the existing multi-view stuff can be reused to
duplicate the window into this output, including controlling whether
child surfaces are shown.

This will allow showing of subwindows, which I think may be impossible
for a client to do if it launched a child that is drawing the subwindow (?).

Maybe when a video recording client starts it can advertise this
additional output. Then the client has to do something to clone it's
surfaces onto this output. And the surfaces will keep updating even if
the user hides the original window.