weston-1.4.0: rpi-backend is broken

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Sun Jan 26 11:51:12 PST 2014

On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 19:08:47 +0100
"Yann E. MORIN" <yann.morin.1998 at free.fr> wrote:

> Hello All!
>
> I'm trying to run wayland+weston 1.4.0 on the raspberry pi with
> the rpi-backend.
>
> Running weston freezes while still in the console, just after
> displaying "Initializing Raspberry Pi backend".
>
> Ctrl-C, Ctrl-Alt-Backspace don't do anything. The system is still
> responsive via ssh.
>
> I bisected it (bisect range: 1.3.0..1.4.0) to the first bad
> commit: 17bccae... input: Handle unplugging the output for a
> touchscreen
>
> I tried applying 8fe412d:
>     Revert part of 17bccae[...]
>
> (17bccae is the failing cset), but this does not fix the breakage.
>
> The RPi userland and firmware I use are the latest from their
> repositories, namely:
>   userland: cset 5cecd5a
>   firmware: cset 940dc3b
>
> I'm now stuck, and out of options on my side. Any idea what I
> should try next to solve this? What info did I miss that would
> help solving this?

Hi,

could you get the log.txt from 'weston-launch &> log.txt' while
using weston master revision?
The fbcon stops updating the moment the rpi gfx backend
initializes (also in normal cases), but weston may still print
useful stuff after that.

What distro, are you locally logged in as the user 'pi', are you
using the real weston-launch binary (not script) which is
setuid-root?

When the screen hangs, and you get in via ssh, is weston or
weston-launch still running? What about weston-desktop-shell?
Are you then killing some processes and how?
(Hint: do not use kill -9 especially on weston-launch)