Window placement

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 16:05:33 PDT 2014

On 07/01/2014 01:58 PM, Jasper St. Pierre wrote:

> So what you want isn't a position hint, but a "preferred output" hint.
> That's a lot simpler of a problem to solve, and one that we've talked
> about implementing before. The issue is then finding the color
> correcting monitor, and then putting the video display on that.

Yes you are allowed to use the x/y only to select the output. Not sure
why this is not clear. The main problem is that an x/y conveys more
information that a compositor *MAY* want to use. Also it is very
convenient that it matches X, Windows, and OS/X.

> Most of your mailing list posts have been about how you're frustrated
> we're doing things differently from how X11 does it. You can continue to
> use X11 if that's the protocol you'd like to use.

I have no idea why you think that. I am desperate to get rid of the
problems with X, in particular all the problems with window stacking
that basically make it impossible to use a multi-window program. I an
really hoping Wayland will be a way to get away from the X problems and
certainly do NOT want to copy anything from X.