Window placement

Fabrice Rey fabounet03 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 13:26:49 PDT 2014

> "They have fundamentally different needs than the average
application"
Well yes, I'm very aware they are, but when you say "DE-component", I see a
huge PITA for the developpers who would want to add such features in the
desktop.
Now, I wouldn't mind some sort of EWMH-like extensions, however, if a
developper has to first focus a DE, make a new extension for it, make it
accepted in the DE code-base, and then build its app, it's dead from the
beginning.
So our last hope would be that a DE really exposes a third-party-friendly
interface and that others follow... Ubuntu did with their Launcher API,
indicators API, etc, and it didn't spread very much.

I think if Weston implements an interface it will have a chance though, so
I'll still try to push some other ideas on this ML ;-)