Global shortkeys and keyboard focus

Michael Schellenberger Costa schellenberger at inb.uni-luebeck.de
Fri Jul 4 06:19:08 PDT 2014

On 04.07.2014 12:53, Dodier-Lazaro, Steve wrote:
> Hi Fabrice,
>
>> Hi all, This topic came up in my previous one about window
>> placement, and I'd like to go further. So currently there is no
>> such thing as Global shortkeys and keyboard focus, however let me
>> present a typical real use-case: [...]
>>
>> Now, I've read some vague things about privileged clients, is it
>> still being considered ?
>
> Note that most of the formalisation that occurred was done by
> Martin Peres from Nouveau (and to a lesser extent myself; I'm not a
> Wayland dev at all though).
>
> We're hoping to have a number of PoC demos of privileged clients
> for XDC but are both really really busy with our research (both PhD
> students). It's not clear if we will have implemented stuff to
> demonstrate... If you want/need to work on global shortcuts in the
> next weeks I can make an effort to make our latest discussions and
> plans available in a concise form.
>
>> Would it be some Android-like capabilities that the user
>> validates on installation or the first time they are required by
>> the application ? What are the plans for these 2 key features ?
>
> We only discussed what the privileges are. Intercepting global
> shortcuts is a privilege so your app would need to either: - have a
> capability to register a global shortcut itself - be entitled by a
> trusted third party to using a specific global shortcut

Is there any reason global shortcuts should lie with an application?
Wouldn't it make more sense to provide an interface on the compositor
side, where clients can register a global shortcut and the compositor
sends an event back in case of the shortcut being pressed.

In that case the compositor could follow predefined rules switching
focus etc.

Best wishes
Michael