x11/GLX/GL on top of wayland

Jasper St. Pierre jstpierre at mecheye.net
Fri Jul 4 07:31:53 PDT 2014

It's at a lower level than translating GLX to EGL. The client renders into
specific card-buffers given its hardware-specific drivers inside mesa, and
then passes a handle to those buffers to what it thinks is the X server
using the DRI3 protocol. Xwayland can in turn pass those buffers to the
real Wayland compositor using the secret wl_drm interface.

I'm told that the nouveau and radeon drivers now have support for DRI3 as
of last week.

--
  Jasper