Global shortkeys and keyboard focus

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Fri Jul 4 09:57:49 PDT 2014

On Friday 04 July 2014 14:04:03 Dodier-Lazaro, Steve wrote:
> The problem is: what are the allowed global shortcuts leaking about users?
>
> If it's any key that can be listened to, then we've just gotten ourselves an
> API for implementing keyloggers.

Just because the API and standard allow any key to be requested does not mean
that the compositor will honour that request. It can have a rule that limits
which shortcut combinations will be allowed. And obviously it should refuse
any that conflict with its own shortcuts. But we should have a recommendation
to applications as to what modifiers are most likely to be accepted, which in
turn means applications should avoid using those key combinations as non-
global shortcuts in their UXs.

The compositor can also ask the user if it's unsure: "confirm you want this
application to use this global shortcut".

The compositor should remember which applications requested what, so as to
avoid conflicts or at least inform the user when that happens.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358