New guy

Jasper St. Pierre jstpierre at mecheye.net
Tue Jul 15 04:59:10 PDT 2014

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 7:48 AM, Magnus Hoff <maghoff+wayland at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi :)
>
> I'm Magnus, and I'd like to help. I'm not scared of working with
> low-level stuff in C :) My experience is more with C++, so I will need
> some getting used to C idioms.
>
> I have successfully installed and run Wayland and Weston on my
> machine, both on a dedicated virtual terminal and nested within X. I
> am super excited about how great an improvement Wayland can turn out
> to be!

Hey Magnus! Glad to hear you're excited about all this!

> I think it's most effective if I can help with something that's
> specific to my hardware and scratches my own itch, so I'll proceed by
> presenting my hardware and ideas for related things that may need
> implementing:
>
> I have a MacBook Pro Retina 13", late 2012 model:
> http://support.apple.com/kb/sp658
>
> My graphics chipset is Intel HD Graphics 4000. There are performance
> issues here, especially with big textures (8kx8k) and as the video
> memory gets exhausted, but I'm guessing the problems here are outside
> of the scope of wayland. Maybe there is something to be done here to
> support a resource constrained environment?
>
> I have a high DPI display (227 PPI). I can help with stuff related to
> high DPI support.
>
> I have an external monitor, Dell 30" at 2560x1600 pixels resolution
> (100 PPI). I can help with external monitor-support and dynamic DPI
> support. I don't know what plans you have made for supporting a
> hetrogenous DPI environment. I also like to close and tuck away my
> laptop while using the external monitor. This doesn't appear to be
> very well supported, save from configuring it explicitly in
> weston.ini.
>
> I also have an integrated touchpad which has very high resolution and
> sensitivity. I don't know the low level details of programming this,
> but I'd like to help with designing good support for this input
> method. Ideas:
>
>  * Support for (sub-)pixel resolution of two-finger scroll. In X.org,
> two-finger scroll is mapped to button-events, which means that the
> resolution of scrolling is reduced to line-level. Can we support such
> smooth scrolling in wayland?

Smooth scrolling is supported in XI2 by some special axes, but not a lot of
applications support this.

Scrolling in Wayland is done by the "axis" event [0], which describes
relative changes on an axis, and not by button presses. So apps couldn't do
chunky scrolling even if they wanted to!

If you're running Weston under X11, then that doesn't have support for XI2
smooth scrolling, it just uses the button presses [1]. The nested X11 is
more meant as a testing and debugging, so it only supports core events. If
you want to get XI2 and smooth scrolling working for the nested X11
compositor, I don't think anybody would mind.

> * Similar support for several-finger-gestures. In X.org, I use
> touchegg to switch workspaces by a four-finger swipe. The interaction
> is like this: 1. put four fingers on touchpad, 2. swipe left/right, 3.
> let fingers go, 4. observe that the workspace changes. The
> corresponding interaction in OS X is like this: 1. put three fingers
> on touchpad, 2. as I swipe left or right, the workspaces on the screen
> respond proportionately by moving right/left, 3. as I let go, one of
> the workspaces snap to fill the screen.

The feedback in OS X is immediate, making the interaction feel much
> better and leaves the user with a much greater feeling of control. Can
> we support this in wayland?

XI2 is really unfortunate with how its protocol handles touch. We recently
added gesture support in GNOME for X11. I'm not too familiar with it
myself, so I'm CC'ing Carlos Garnacho, who wrote our gestures
implementation, to see if he has any feedback about whether the Wayland
protocol works fine and would allow for really smooth gestures.

I also have a Wacom Bamboo Pen&Touch, but I am not a graphics artist.
> I can help with testing tablet-/pen-stuff.
>

> That's probably more ideas than I can realize on my own :) Does
> anybody want to help me with contributing something valuable in one of
> these areas?
>

> Thanks,
> Magnus Hoff

[0]