libinput returns multiple keyboards that do not generate events

Stefanos A. stapostol at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 05:16:13 PDT 2014

I have come across a strange issue while implementing a libinput backend
for OpenTK <https://github.com/opentk/opentk>. When testing on my laptop,
libinput detects six keyboard devices. Out of these, only the last one
actually sends keyboard events - the rest remain idle no matter which
button I press on the keyboard.

This is with libinput 0.2.0 with linux 3.15.5 running on Arch 64bit. The
hardware is a 15'' rMBP (version 10.1, let me know if you need any system
logs.)

Is this result expected? Is there a way to detect the capabilities of each
keyboard or otherwise distinguish which devices are "real" keyboards? Right
now I am working around by waiting for an actual input event before
recognizing a device as a keyboard, but this is rather hacky / racey.