[RFC wayland v2 0/2] Wayland protocol dumper

Boyan Ding stu_dby at 126.com
Thu Jul 24 18:21:36 PDT 2014

Hi,
On Thu, 2014-07-24 at 18:01 -0700, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> Hmm, do I understand the directions correctly?
>
> In one terminal after building and installing the patched wayland, I've
> run:
>
>   $ ./wayland-tracer -S wayland-0
>
> Then in another terminal window, I rebuild weston and:
>
>   $ WAYLAND_DISPLAY=wayland-0 ~/Wayland/weston/weston-flower
>   failed to connect to Wayland display: No such file or directory
>   failed to create display: No such file or directory
>   $

Oh, you should have a compositor first. This tool is only used to
redirecting data on the wire.

Suppose you have a compositor which runs on wayland-0. You can run
(Supposed environment variable WAYLAND_DISPLAY=wayland-0)
$ ./wayland-tracer -S wayland-1

Then if you run under another terminal
$ WAYLAND_DISPLAY=wayland-1 weston-flower

You'll see weston-flower and in the compositor and the communication
dumped.

> > To make it run under default mode (now called "single mode"), run
> > shell> wayland-tracer -- program arguments ...
>
> Not sure what this mode is, but it seems not to do much for me:
>
>   $ ./wayland-tracer -- ~/Wayland/weston/weston-flower
>   0: <= Data dumped: 12 bytes:
>   01 00 00 00 01 00 0c 00 02 00 00 00
You also got to have a running compositor. But this reminds me to check
whether the connection is successful.

Cheers,
Boyan Ding