[RFC wayland v2 0/2] Wayland protocol dumper

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 01:46:52 PDT 2014

On Sat, 26 Jul 2014 11:37:47 +0800
Boyan Ding <stu_dby at 126.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for all the advice. I also found integrating the code in wayland
> repository is not very comfortable. Actually I had to make a separate
> branch to keep track of my own development and format patches before
> sending them here. So I set up a self-contained repository on github [1]
> and my development will continue there.
>
> The code now is identical to v2 patches I sent, with stripped (to avoid
> unneeded depenencies) version of wayland utilities.
>
> As for the choice between reusing and duplicating, I prefer to reuse a
> little code about low level connection handling and duplicate others.
> I'll keep my code as clean as possible. My point is to keep code simple
> and not to make reusing code a burden.

Hi,

this looks very good.

I have only one more suggestion to help keep track of things:
record somewhere (git commit message would be perfect) which exact
version of a piece of code you copied from wayland. For example:

	Import wayland-os.c and .h from Wayland

	Import these files as is from Wayland upstream revision
	872535624567452376.

Writing down the upstream git sha1 allows you to later go and look
at Wayland upstream, and see if something there has changed. If
Wayland has fixes or improvements, you can import again, and you
see exactly what changed.