Keysym event in the text protocol

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Mon Jul 28 17:14:48 PDT 2014

On 29 July 2014 00:40, Bill Spitzak <spitzak at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am unconvinced that any real clients will actually do this

They do. They all do.

> It seems like this should be implemented by having "Alt+V" translate to
> the "Paste" keysym.

No, this falls apart because ... well, no, I'm not going to repeat myself a
tenth time. It just does.

> This moves all the keyboard mapping to a common location in the keyboard
> descriptions. There is no more reason the client should figure out that
> Alt+V is paste than it should figure out that shift+5 is "%", other than
> historical legacy. This idea is not as unworkable as you may think if the
> "V" keysym is also returned as the unshifted value, and if keysyms are
> replaced with small strings.

Every single time someone brings up anything related to keyboards, you say
the same thing. And I explain how I'm pretty sure it can't work. Then you
explain that you don't see why it shouldn't.

Given that, and the fact that our original design for the keyboard
interface started off with keysym events _only_ (not on mailing lists, I
don't think - was an in-person meeting a couple of years ago) but we
couldn't figure out a way to make it work, I'm pretty confident in this.

I'm getting pretty sick of having literally the same discussion with you
pretty much every month. Can you please either write actual code for a
sample environment (with working shortcuts and all) which demonstrates that
your ideas actually function in the real world, or just stop bringing it up
every time someone mentions keyboards?

Thanks.