wl_tablet draft v2

Jason Gerecke killertofu at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 10:07:07 PDT 2014

On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 10:54 AM, Bill Spitzak <spitzak at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 07/28/2014 09:41 AM, Jason Gerecke wrote:
>
>> Normalizing the data is fine, but the resolution data needs to be
>> available somewhere as well. The GTK+ API doesn't require anything
>> more than the former, but Qt requires that there be some way to turn
>> the normalized value into degrees. For libinput this could be
>> something as simple as a "get_axis_resolution" function that returns
>> the number of radians (or mm, or newtons, or some other physical unit)
>> that the normalized value +1.0 corresponds to. I suppose Wayland would
>> let make the value available through the wl_tablet_manager somehow.
>

> Are you sure about these terms? I would think "resolution" should be used to
> identify how many discreet positions the device can obtain. What you are
> asking for I think would be better to call a "range" or "scale".

Yeah, good catch. Looks like I'm getting imprecise with my terminology *wince*

I think I prefer "scale" over "range" personally, since it's only a
single logical-to-physical scaling factor (not the physical minimum
and maximum extents of the axis).

Jason
---
you’ve got three, ‘Cause you added one  /
(That is to say, eight) to the two,     /
But you can’t take seven from three,    /
So you look at the sixty-fours....