Getting egl clients to work

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 10:46:29 PDT 2014

Actually all I am trying to do is get software EGL to work. I did not
think there was a chance at all that the nVidia drivers could be used.
But maybe it is a possibility...

> Sounds like you are using Mesa (software renderer) on your
> system otherwise using Nvidia proprietary stack (right?).

Yes

> At some point I thought you wanted to run Weston using Nvidia's
> EGL to get hardware acceleration in Weston itself, not Mesa EGL
> which on Nvidia proprietary drivers can only ever offer software
> rendering.

Actually all I am trying to do is get mesa's software EGL to work, and
only in the X11 backend. I did not think there was a chance at all that
the nVidia drivers could be used...

My assumption was that both weston and any clients would load my
locally-compiled mesa, which would then figure out that only software
rendering would work, and use that into SHM buffers.

It now looks like weston successfully does this, but clients fail?

> You should not install Mesa at all, if you wanted to use Nvidia's
> libEGL, or otherwise make sure the correct libs get loaded.
>
> Nvidia's libEGL can in theory work only with the x11-backend of
> Weston.

That would be very interesting if it works...

> egl_dri2 is a built-in, not a file like egl_gallium.so. A
> "side-effect" of egl_dri2 is that it does not implement the generic
> software rendering path on the Wayland platform (i.e. for Wayland
> apps).
>
> Again, for Wayland apps to be able to use a software renderer from
> Mesa, Mesa has to install egl_gallium.so and the apps need to use
> it. When this is done properly, it does not matter to apps what EGL
> Weston itself is using.

Okay, this seems to be the problem I am having. For some reason the
clients fail to use egl_gallium. Is this a bug? Is Mesa compiled
incorrectly? Should I set an environment variable? This is all a mystery
to me.