[ANNOUNCE] libinput 0.4.0

Jasper St. Pierre jstpierre at mecheye.net
Wed Jun 25 05:56:55 PDT 2014

On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 2:59 AM, Lyude <thatslyude at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2014-06-24 at 23:40 -0700, Andrea Giammarchi wrote:
> > Yeah Peter, I know how to apply a patch and no, I don't have any of
> > them in my inbox, that's why I've asked what was wrong in my
> > process ... right now I'm on Gmail in chrome and wayland-devel channel
> > and zero attachment whatsoever.
>
> If you're referring to e-mail attachments that's not what he's getting
> at. When you apply a patch off the mailing list you literally apply the
> e-mail itself, not an attachment. Hence why you'd use git-am instead of
> git-apply. git-am takes a saved copy of the e-mail (in mbox format),
> extracts the inline patch for you, and applies it to the tree. It's
> somewhat of a different process then just applying a plain old patches.
>
> It's a very different system then most projects nowadays use, since most
> projects will just do pull requests and that sort of stuff :). So seeing
> misunderstandings like this isn't at all unusual or something to be
> disheartened about. We're not the only project to do it though, you'll
> see that the linux kernel requires you to submit patches in this manner
> too. It's mostly done because with organized projects like this, having
> the ability to easily review a patch inline is necessary to discuss
> changes in the protocol, point out typos and errors in patches, etc.
> There are alternatives for this, for example Github has the ability to
> allow you to comment inline on commits in pull requests, but a lot of
> people here just prefer to use their e-mail clients and whatever text
> editor they fancy.

It's a really outdated system, especially considering Pipermail doesn't
have an mbox link for download. My workaround is usually to hunt around for
the archive on markmail.org or marc.info and look for the mbox download,
but those don't seem to be tracking wayland-devel.

So yeah, if you haven't subscribed to the list, hope you like copying and
pasting patch files and cleaning them up to get them to apply!

(Why do we subject ourselves to this terrible infrastructure?)

Hope I clarified things a bit!

> Cheers,
>         Lyude

  Jasper