wl_tablet specification draft

Jason Ekstrand jason at jlekstrand.net
Wed Jun 25 20:22:21 PDT 2014

On 06/25/2014 06:05 PM, Peter Hutterer wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>>          - Name: x
>>>            Type: fixed
>>>            Surface relative x coordinate
>>>
>>>          - Name: y
>>>            Type: fixed
>>>            Surface relative y coordinate
>>>
>>>          - Name: surface
>>>            Type: object
>>>            Interface: wl_surface
>>>            The current surface the tablet tool is over
>>>
>>>          - Name: time
>>>            Type: uint
>>>            The time of the event with millisecond granularity.
>>>
>>>          - Name: axes
>>>            Type: array
>>> 	  The current values of each of the tablet axes starting at
>>> 	  WL_TABLET_AXIS_DISTANCE. The length of the array is equal to the
>>> 	  number of axes that are reported. Any axes >= WL_TABLET_AXIS_CNT
>>> 	  must be ignored. The size of the array remains fixed for the
>>> 	  lifetime of the tablet.
>>>
>>> - proximity_out
>>>    Send whenever the tool leaves the proximity of the tablet or moves out of
>>>    the client surface. When the tool goes out of proximity, a set of button
>>>    release events are sent before the initial proximity_out event for each
>>>    button that was held down before the tablet tool left proximity. In
>>>    addition, axis updates always come before a proximity-out event.
>>>    Arguments:
>>>          - Name: id
>>>            Type: uint
>>>            The id of the tablet sending this event.
>>>
>>>          - Name: time
>>>            Type: uint
>>>            The time of the event with millisecond granularity.
>>>
>>> - axis
>>>    Sent whenever an axis on the tool changes. This can include movement on the
>>>    X and Y axis.
>>>    Arguments:
>>>          - Name: id
>>>            Type: uint
>>>            The id of the tablet sending this event.
>>>
>>>          - Name: x
>>>            Type: fixed
>>>            Surface relative x coordinate
>>>
>>>          - Name: y
>>>            Type: fixed
>>>            Surface relative y coordinate
>>>
>>>          - Name: surface
>>>            Type: object
>>>            Interface: wl_surface
>>>            The current surface the tablet tool is over
>> How about using enter/leave events telling the client which wl_surface
>> the input device is targeting? That way you don't have to repeat the
>> wl_surface argument in every event.
> good point, thanks!
>
>>>          - Name: time
>>>            Type: uint
>>>            The time of the event with millisecond granularity.
>>>
>>>          - Name: changed_axes
>>>            Type: bitfield
>>>            Indicates which axes have changed.
>>>
>>>          - Name: axes
>>>            Type: array
>>> 	  The current values of each of the tablet axes starting at
>>> 	  WL_TABLET_AXIS_DISTANCE. The length of the array is equal to the
>>> 	  number of axes that are reported. Any axes >= WL_TABLET_AXIS_CNT
Is there a reason we are using an array rather than sending different
events?  It's tempting to try and save something by using an array, but
extra events don't really cost anything significant. Also, once you use
an enum value in a public protocol, you can NEVER change it.  In
particular, you can't change WL_TABLET_AXIS_CNT and you are locked into
only ever using those axes and never extending the protocol to include
more.  I don't think this is what you intended.

Also, is there a reason why you have one axis event rather than
wl_tablet.position, wl_tablet.distance, wl_tablet.tilt, etc?  Not that
having one axis event and an enum is bad, but it's something to think about.

>>> - button
>>>    Sent whenever a button on the tool is pressed or released.
>>>    Arguments:
>>>          - Name: id
>>>            Type: uint
>>>            The id of the tablet sending this event.
>>>
>>>          - Name: button
>>>            Type: uint
>>>            The button whose state has changed
>>>
>>>          - Name: state
>>>            Type: uint
>>>            Whether the button was pressed or released
>>>
>>>          - Name: time
>>>            Type: uint
>>>            The time of the event with millisecond granularity.
>>>
>>> - added
>>>    Sent when a tablet device is added.
>>>    Arguments:
>>>          - Name: id
>>>            Type: uint
>>>            The id of the tablet sending this event.
>>>
>>> - removed
>>>    Sent when the tablet device has been removed.
>>>    Arguments:
>>>          - Name: id
>>>            Type: uint
>>>            The id of the tablet sending this event.
>>>
>>> How tablet IDs are generated:
>>> Tablet IDs are aggressively recycled, e.g. we always try to get the lowest
>>> possible tablet ID. This means that the client can always assume that the ID
>>> number for a new tablet will never be greater then the number of tablets
>>> currently connected.
>> Hi,
>>
>> using tablet IDs this way seems like this is a raw wire protocol, and
>> not object oriented like Wayland usually is.
>>
>> Could this be wrapped into an object like the following?
>>
>> Define interface "wl_tablet" which represents one device (I assume
>> aggregating makes no sense, just like with gamepads). Then you can drop
>> the "id" argument from all events and requests, and just use the
>> protocol object.
> It's possible, look at this RFC from last september.
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2013-September/011173.html
>
> The gist of that was that the wl_seat::get_tablet_manager request that
> returned a tablet manager object. that object was then the one that sent
> wl_tablet_manager::device_added events with the new tablet object. And that
> object had the wl_tablet interface as above (without the IDs).
>
> Lyude and I talked about this and couldn't decide which approach was the
> correct-er one for wayland :)
I'll second what pekka said.  We already have a way of handling IDs and
agressively recycling them; it's called object IDs.  I'm guessing the
IDs thing came from the wl_touch interface.  There we have a wl_touch
object for the physical device and IDs for the different touchpoints.
Here we have one pen per physical device (I think).
>> I'm not sure how you want to advertise and create the wl_tablet objects.
>> How do tablet devices relate to wl_seat protocol objects?
> tablets control the cursor, so we definitely need to couple them
> with the seats somehow.
Does it control THE cursor or A cursor?  I question whether we really
want it to be that intertwined with wl_pointer.

This brings up another point: tablet focus.  How do you usually tell the
compositor what window you want to receive tablet input?  For a tablet
with a screen, you can treat it more-or-less like a single-point
touch-screen, but what about tablets that aren't attached to a screen?
In the past, tablets frequently existed as a more natural way to move
the mouse around with a little extra meta-data for an app if it wanted
it.  Is that the way they SHOULD work?  That's a different question.