wl_tablet specification draft

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Sun Jun 29 23:43:21 PDT 2014

On 06/29/2014 11:33 PM, Pekka Paalanen wrote:

>> moving the visible cursor doesn't necessarily mean that it must translate
>> into the wl_pointer protocol. It's probably awkward at first if the pointer
>> moves and clients don't react to it but if we essentially require the
>> toolkits to support wl_tablet then this will go away quickly.
>
> I suspect it will be very hairy to make that work. Clients always set
> the pointer cursor image when the pointer enters a surface. If you move
> the cursor without using wl_pointer protocol, what happens with the
> cursor image?

I was assuming the enter event contains enough information to know which
device is causing it. If not it needs to be extended to contain all the
information that is in a "move" event.

Although this is getting a bit out of this area, imho enter/exit events
should be eliminated. There only need to be "move" events, containing
the surface they are sent to, the client can detect when the surface
changes. There is one hack: if the pointer is moved to another client's
surface, the first client gets a move event with a null surface so that
does work as an "exit" event, but no extra event type is needed.