wl_tablet specification draft

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 18:55:25 PDT 2014

On 06/30/2014 12:46 AM, Pekka Paalanen wrote:

>> I was assuming the enter event contains enough information to know which
>> device is causing it.
>
> It is the wl_pointer of a specific wl_seat:
> http://people.collabora.com/~jonny/protocol/wl_pointer.html#Event:enter
>
> No information about the actual physical device at all.
>
>> If not it needs to be extended to contain all the
>> information that is in a "move" event.
>
> It already contains more information than motion:
> http://people.collabora.com/~jonny/protocol/wl_pointer.html#Event:motion
>
> No, we are not adding physical device identification to wl_pointer.

I'm reasonably certain that users only want to see a cursor and
application highlighting and tooltips, etc, for the device they are
currently handling. And they want "mouse mode" to work for tablets in
cases where their display is significantly larger or a different aspect
ratio than the tablet.

I can't see how either will be implemented unless the compositor is
aware of the pointer being shared between devices and it can
incrementally move the pointer based on the pen actions. Any other
method of doing this seems to require the tablet and pointer events to
be delivered to more than one client.

>> Although this is getting a bit out of this area, imho enter/exit events
>> should be eliminated....
>
> Note, that wl_pointer.enter is also used in cases where there is no
> physical input device action to trigger it...

Yes this makes sense. Sorry I was confusing it with the X implementation
where the Enter event replaced a Move event.