weston: weston randr protocol for testing and configuration

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 03:54:10 PDT 2014

On Wed, 26 Mar 2014 10:15:31 +0000
"Wang, Quanxian" <quanxian.wang at intel.com> wrote:

> Thanks, Pq

Well, multiple threads changing the mode of the same output is just
rubbish. So sane program will ever do that, so there is no reason make
that behaviour race-free or well-defined. That is why I would not say,
that supporting multiple threads doing mode switches is a reason behind
this design.

What we do want to have, is that a single-threaded client alone doing a
series of mode set operations will be sure of which reply is for which
commit. We could rely on protocol message ordering, but we also
have a design pattern to make the association explicit: the commit
request can create a new protocol object, that will then deliver the
reply. The identity of that object identifies the set of changes.

If you have several clients racing to set the mode (which you should
never have, anyway), following the design pattern of queueing state
changes and then committing them all at once will keep the states from
different clients from mixing up. The client that does the commit last
will have its complete state set last. The race makes only the parts of
output state a client is not setting undefined, because the other
commit may have changed them. There is no need to eliminate this race,
because it is really a user error.

If you define, that a set of state changes can include changes to
multiple outputs and not just one output, meaning that a commit can
change all outputs in one go, then we could live well without the reply
protocol object. Now I think this would be preferred; protocol for
completely atomic modesetting over all outputs. It would be simple
protocol-wise, too.