[ANNOUNCE] libxkbcommon-0.4.1

David Herrmann dh.herrmann at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 03:32:06 PDT 2014

Hi

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 11:41 PM, Ran Benita <ran234 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Regarding intended use-case for multiple-keysyms, I consider it mainly
> to be for sequences with combining characters - not everything has
> precomposed codepoints, so if you want one of these, you don't have a
> way to do it with single-keysym, but it still conceptually fits in a
> keymap. However for the original intent you have to ask Daniel.

Ok, so should be handled as atomic key-press.

> Sure, the old functions are still useful for getting the "raw"
> translation if you want it. And you're right about the docs - I'll add
> some hopefully-not-too-confusing details instead of just "prefer the new
> ones". Full details are in the bugs and commit msgs but of course I
> don't expect anyone to read that :)

Yeah, commit-message is great for xkbcommon developers, not so much
for new API users. Thanks!

>> Btw., same is true for the implicit caps-lock magic in
>> xkb_state_key_get_one_sym(). I'm now quite confused whether
>> xkb_state_key_get_syms() users have to do caps-lock handling
>> explicitly? Or is that done by keymaps?
>
> Currently to get the implicit capitalization with get_syms(), you have
> to do this:
>
>     int nsyms;
>     const xkb_keysym_t *syms;
>     xkb_keysym_t sym;
>
>     nsyms = xkb_state_key_get_syms(..., &syms);
>     if (nsyms == 1) {
>         sym = xkb_state_key_get_one_sym(...);
>         syms = &sym;
>     }
>
> I imagine the disgust, but given the set of constraints we had I
> couldn't think of any way to make this work. New API is still possible,
> but then we'd have *three* ways to get keysyms...
>
> As I may have mentioned, I wanted to change the *keymaps* so the
> difference doesn't matter here. I still plan to send some patches for
> easy cases, but fixing other cases would require major xkeyboard-config
> surgery. So we're stuck with it.

That somehow gives me the impression capslock is currently not handled
by keymaps? Oh, didn't even notice that. Sounds like a gross hack. But
yes, fixing all keymaps sounds like rather cumbersome work given that
there's no real gain in it.

Thanks
David