Thoughts on getting surfaces to appear on the right output

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Fri May 2 18:37:36 PDT 2014

On 05/02/2014 03:49 PM, Neil Roberts wrote:

> 1. It would seem more useful for the desktop shell to send some info
> about how the client was launched in environment variables.
> Yes, maybe it would be cleaner to agree on some protocol for the parent
> process to send the information directly to the child. I'm not sure
> about using environment variables though because they tend to be
> inherited. For example if you used the desktop shell to launch a
> terminal then all clients that that terminal launched would end up with
> the same environment variables.
Good point. Yes that would screw up. I was thinking the lack of
environment variables would indicate a launch from a terminal, but
unless all terminal clients cleared all the Wayland environment
variables this would not work. And I don't think it should be the
terminal client's responsibility to know the entire current set of
Wayland environment variables and remove them.

I think that is enough reason to give up on the environment variable idea.