Bug 78372 - create multiple windows with offset

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Wed May 7 22:54:07 PDT 2014

On Wed, 07 May 2014 13:10:31 -0700
Bill Spitzak <spitzak at gmail.com> wrote:

> Good to see there is an actual bug on this, but I need to ask for our
> exact case:

No, there is not. The bug report was not a valid bug, and is now closed.

> Our app can be configured to have 2 (well actually any number) of
> windows. Normally each window is maximized or fullscreen on a different
> output. User expects to be able to rearrange the windows, change their
> size and whether they are fullscreen/maximized, and then do "save
> layout", and later when they run the software again or do a "load
> layout" they get EXACTLY the same arrangement of windows. In particular
> the windows must not be on different outputs than they were previously,
> they cannot overlap and there must be absolutely no way they can be
> swapped no matter what order the client creates them.

This is similar to session save/restore, lacking a better term for it.
We do not even pretend to support or enable this yet. It is just yet one
more feature that the shell protocol suite for desktop should cover,
but so far no-one has done any work on it AFAIK.

If there is not one already, you are welcome to open a feature request
bug about application layout save/restore.