weston logind and display managers

nerdopolis bluescreen_avenger at verizon.net
Thu May 8 17:34:37 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, May 07, 2014 10:18:00 PM Pier Luigi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm porting sddm (QtQuick based display manager) to Wayland, it's
> still work in progress but close to be in a usable state and you can
> find it here:
>
> https://github.com/plfiorini/sddm/tree/wayland
>
> There are some multiple screen issues specific to how sddm work
> compared to wl_fullscreen_shell but at least i've got it to display a
> window on the primary screen and that's good enough for now.
>
> All is going well so far however it's still not capable of running a
> weston session.
>
> I managed to acquire a new tty every time a wayland session is
> started, then I set the owner and read/write permission only to the
> user that just logged in and open an fd for the tty but weston fails
> with the following errors:
>
> logind: cannot set K_OFF KB-mode on /dev/tty2: Operation not permitted
> logind: cannot setup systemd-logind helper (-1), using legacy fallback
> fatal: drm backend should be run using weston-launch binary or as root
> fatal: failed to create compositor
>
> Is there something I'm missing in setting up the tty?

Hi.

Going by what I know, weston currently has the ability to talk to systemd and not have to use weston-launch if you have systemd v209 or greater, and it gets compiled in.

It looks like Weston is attempting to do use the logind integration, and is failing.

I think with the systemd integration in Weston you don't have to change the tty owner yourself, and I don't know if it that could be the problem

And then it looks like weston is failing back to using the standard method of requiring weston-launch, and because it can't talk to weston-launch, it's exiting.

I hope this helps