Bug 78372 - create multiple windows with offset

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Thu May 8 23:58:36 PDT 2014

On Thu, 08 May 2014 13:13:34 -0700
Bill Spitzak <spitzak at gmail.com> wrote:

> I posted the same patch for the xserver for 6 months to allow it to read
> a different xorg.conf file. I finally got sick of being ignored and gave
> up, also recent xwayland can now work on a non-EGL wayland without
> having a special xorg.conf file, thus "fixing" it for me. However the
> underlying bug still exists and I'm sure there will be text that has to
> be in one xorg.conf file or the other that makes the other server choke.
> Maybe then somebody will fix it.

Maybe you completely missed it, but the X server part of xwayland was
rewritten almost from scratch. It does not use Xorg anymore at all. No
DDXes. I'm not sure if it even tries to read any config files anymore.

Now, the same source code tree that produces the familar 'Xorg'
program and lots of modules, can also produce a program called
'Xwayland'. That single binary is now probably the only thing you need
from the xserver tree for xwayland to work. See the new xwayland build
instructions.

For hardware accelerated GLX clients you might have to wait a bit more,
but I see that glxgears works just fine - it gets llvmpipe. I didn't
try to enable Glamor at all.

With the very little effort I used, I'm in a state, where I can run
'glxgears' inside Weston, and it just works.

- pq