Not able to build weston following the instructions in the website.

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Tue May 13 00:32:36 PDT 2014

On Tue, 13 May 2014 12:44:45 +0530
Srivardhan <sri.hebbar at samsung.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When followed the instructions in the
> http://wayland.freedesktop.org/building.html, Weston configure fails, as it
> won't find the wayland-scanner installed in custom location. So we need to
> update the build instructions in the website to update the PATH variable
> with custom location. Has nobody else faced this issue?

Yeah:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2014-April/014005.html

The proper fix would be to change the build system to use the path from
pkg-config instead of relying on PATH.

I wonder if that would break any cross-compiling environments, where
wayland-scanner may be built separately for the build machine, though.
Wayland's configure has a switch --disable-scanner, so that a
cross-build can build libwayland for the target machine without having
to fight with building wayland-scanner for the build machine at the
same time. There wayland-scanner is found by PATH.

So, I think weston's configure should get wayland-scanner based on the
pkg-config file by default, but have an option to explicitly override
that, in case a cross-build needs to use a different wayland-scanner
than what the pkg-config file refers to.