Fwd: Re: libxkbcommon compilation instructions

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Tue May 27 15:36:39 PDT 2014

On 05/25/2014 11:08 PM, Pekka Paalanen wrote:
> On Sun, 25 May 2014 13:41:08 -0700
> Bill Spitzak <spitzak at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 05/24/2014 12:45 AM, Pekka Paalanen wrote:
>>> - --with-xkb-config-root should not be needed, xkeyboard-config
>>>     instead is.
>
> xkeyboard-config is a package, that provides keyboard layout/keymapping
> data files. Xorg and Xwayland needs it, and libxkbcommon needs it. In
> Wayland everything using libxkbcommon needs it on desktop systems, that
> means all apps.
>
> xkeyboard-config is the package that provides the
> file /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/evdev. You can easily see that by listing
> all the files this package installed on your distribution.

Yes I have that file already installed.

It seems like this switch is intended to locate this evdev file in the
global installation location, rather than in $WLD/share/X11. However it
looks like that is the default behavior anyway. No matter how I compile
libxkbcommon, weston requires the global evdev file to exist, and seems
to ignore any placed in $WLD. Personally this feels wrong to me, though
it is not causing any problems.

However the XServer instructions require these lines to be run, and I
checked and they are necessary. These seem to be redundantly producing
the same effect of putting the evdev file in $WLD:

mkdir -p $WLD/share/X11/xkb/rules
ln -s /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/evdev $WLD/share/X11/xkb/rules/
ln -s /usr/bin/xkbcomp $WLD/bin/

So the questions are:

1. Is it a bug that libxkbcommon does not look in the --prefix directory
for the evdev file?

2. Conversely is it a bug that the xserver does do this?

3. Even if #1 is a bug and is fixed, the symbolic links shown for the
xserver are a better solution than the autogen switch, right?