[RFC weston 13/16] compositor: Add a function to test if images transformed by a matrix should be bilinearly filtered

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 12:15:35 PDT 2014

On 10/02/2014 12:37 AM, Pekka Paalanen wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Oct 2014 18:09:32 -0700
> Jason Ekstrand <jason at jlekstrand.net> wrote:

>> (do we use "bool" in weston?  Maybe just return int).  We may need both x
>> and y scales and it may be useful to get those as floats.  I'm not sure on
>> that.  Pekka, what would the RPi backend use?

It looks like most of the code uses <stdbool.h>, "bool", and "true" and
"false". However I also found a lot of instances of TRUE, FALSE,
EGL_TRUE, EGL_FALSE, and using integer and 1 and 0 as return values.

> Futhermore, if you wanted to cache the buffer-to-output matrix, you
> would end up with number_of_views * number_of_outputs matrices to be
> cached. The buffer-to-global per-view matrix might not change too
> often, but we tend to paint outputs in turns, which means doing just
> per-view cached total matrix is a waste.
>
> So you might have buffer-to-surface matrix in weston_surface, then
> buffer-to-global matrix cached in weston_view. I'm not sure it makes
> sense to cache buffer-to-output anywhere.

Actually most backends are going to analyze the matrix anyway, so using
this to short-circuit filtering is not that useful.

But a set of flags attached to the matrix can help in speeding up
multiplication. This would avoid having to cache all the matrices and
would make creating them faster in normal cases. The flags should be
designed so when you multiply the matrix you can bitwise and the flags.
Something like this:

AFFINE: last row is 0,0,?,1
NO_SKEW: a00*a01+a10*a11 ~= 0
NO_SCALE: a00^2+a01^2 ~= 1 && a10^2+a11^2 ~= 1
ORTHO: a00==a11==0 or a01==a10==0
NO_ROTATE: a01==a10==0
NOT_DEGENERATE: a00*a11-a10*a01 != 0
NO_MIRROR: a00,a01,a10,a11 are all >= 0
INT_SCALE: a00,a01,a10,a11 are all integers
INT_TRANSLATE: a03 and a13 are integers
IDENTITY: identity matrix