[RFC weston 13/16] compositor: Add a function to test if images transformed by a matrix should be bilinearly filtered

Jason Ekstrand jason at jlekstrand.net
Thu Oct 2 17:09:37 PDT 2014

On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 3:21 PM, Derek Foreman <derekf at osg.samsung.com>
wrote:

> On 02/10/14 02:37 PM, Jason Ekstrand wrote:
> >
> > On Oct 2, 2014 12:37 AM, "Pekka Paalanen" <ppaalanen at gmail.com
> > <mailto:ppaalanen at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >>
> >> On Wed, 1 Oct 2014 18:09:32 -0700
> >> Jason Ekstrand <jason at jlekstrand.net <mailto:jason at jlekstrand.net>>

> > really look
> > haven't had a

> > to test z,
> > at all.

> > making
> > matter

> > sense

> API.
> or

> > for zeros
> > form:

> > can be any

> > I'll try

> > use video

> > matrix into

> >> Why would there be 'transform' parameter? That implies that the matrix
> >> is not really the total transformation, which I find odd here.
> >>
> >> (Total transformation is between buffer pixel coords and output/scanout
> >> pixel coords, i.e. buffer-to-output.)
>
> btw, what exactly is the buffer-to-output transform?  I think in the
> pixman renderer that's already calculated in a convenient location (in
> "matrix" in repaint_region()

We create it here, among other things:

https://github.com/ManMower/weston/blob/transforms/src/pixman-renderer.c#L213

Basically, it's just the full transformation from buffer pixels to output
pixels.  If that's not scaled or rotated, we want NEAREST filtering.

> For gl-renderer, I suspect I need to build it myself in draw_view():
> weston_matrix_init(&foo);
> weston_matrix_multiply(&foo, &ev->surface->buffer_to_surface_matrix);
> if (ev->transform.enabled)
>         weston_matrix_multiply(&foo, &ev->transform.matrix)
> weston_matrix_multiply(&foo, &output->matrix);
>
> Is that right?  Do I have the order backwards?
>
> I'd like to test just that one matrix and no additional if
> (ev->tranform.enabled) etc to decide on whether to use linear or nearest...
>
> > I'm sorry I mistyped but I meant the transform to be an output
> > parameter.  That way you know of the matrix is a 90-degree rotation or
> > flip.  Not sure if this is needed but for figuring out GL_LINEAR vs
> > GL_NEAREST we don't want to fail if there is a 90-degree rotation.

> I'm kind of interested in the answer to the question "do we use bool in
> weston?" - It's used in some places and not others - do we care? :)
>
> > both x
> > sure on
> >>
> >> The rpi-renderer uses pretty much the same as what DRM planes/overlays
> >> offer wrt. coordinates, IIRC: integer position and size on the output,
> >> and 16.16 fixed point position and size on input (buffer).
> >>
> >> Whether scaling factor is integer or not is irrelevant there. I do not
> >> recall there being an option for sampling (nearest/linear/...) in
> >> either DispmanX nor DRM.
>
> I think rpi has horizontal and vertical flip capabilities as well?
>
> I don't think that's exposed by drmModeSetPlane.

Exactly.  The matrix decompose function should provide enough information
to figure out this stuff.

> transform
> the
> >>
> >> I think DRM planes do handle at least limited scaling, as do DispmanX
> >> (IIRC something like if scaling to less than 1/8 you take an
> >> additional performance hit, or other funny effects) also.
> >>
> >> We may not know all the limitations of a DRM plane in advance, so we
> >> only need to make sure it can fit through the KMS API, and then the
> >> kernel will reject it if it violates some hw-specific restrictions.
> >> (Fallback will be implemented in Weston when atomic/nuclear support
> >> arrives.)
> >
> > Yes, but we probably want to use the above function and then check that
> > transform == WL_OUTPUT_TRANSFORM_NORMAL.  In any case, having some idea
> > of the rotation is probably needed.  (I don't know that much about KMS).
>
> I think we need to transform the points by the buffer-to-output matrix
> in order to create the destination x, y, width and height if we can
> successfully put something in a plane - might it be easier to do that
> transformation unconditionally and then test the results for viability?

We should also be able to pick that information directly out of the
matrix.  The (0, 0) point gets transformed to the top two entries on the
right hand side divided by the lower right hand corner.

> (ie: for drm test that the output rect is axis aligned, no flips.  for
> rpi, axis aligned but flips are ok and result in slight additional setup.)
>
> That would leave the the test for linear vs nearest in a separate
> function (much like the one Bill described)

Eh, I think the ability to pull out the transform is useful.  Also, once
you've gone to all the work to check if you can do it, doing it shouldn't
be hard.

--Jason