libinput: Support for long press key detection?

Stefanie Behme steffi.behme at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 05:10:43 PDT 2014

Am 21.10.2014 um 21:03 schrieb Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman):
> On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 20:21:26 +0200 Stefanie Behme <steffi.behme at gmail.com> said:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> on last ELCE in Duesseldorf I learned that the development of libinput
>> was started to handle input devices in Wayland compositors. I had a look
>> in the API documentation and found that the enum "libinput_key_state"
>> has these values: LIBINPUT_KEY_STATE_RELEASED and
>> LIBINPUT_KEY_STATE_PRESSED.
>>
>> There is a need to detect if a key is pressed (and hold) for a certain
>> amount of time. If this is the case a long-press key event is send. It
>> is also possible that several long-press key events are defined for one
>> key, e.g.:
>> - 500 ms: KEY_STATE_LONG_PRESSED_1
>> - 1000 ms: KEY_STATE_LONG_PRESSED_2
>> - 5000 ms: KEY_STATE_LONG_PRESSED_3
>>
>> A long press on a key is e.g. used to create a screen shot.
>>
>> Is there any plan to support this kind of long press detection? How
>> could this look like? Any ideas?
>
> can you explain why this needs or  should be done at the libinput level and not
> in the app/toolkit where it already is handled (at least in some toolkits).

Since the input handling code was put in an own library to avoid
duplicated code I was wondering if long press detection could also be
part of libinput. Then this has not to be implemented in every app/toolkit.

Regarding the answer from Peter, that this would be too high level for
libinput, just for my information I wonder where is the border of
libinput? Which kind of input handling will be part and which not?

Best regards
Steffi