xdg shell status and gaps

Jasper St. Pierre jstpierre at mecheye.net
Thu Sep 25 13:57:32 PDT 2014

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 2:18 PM, Bill Spitzak <spitzak at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 09/25/2014 07:32 AM, Jasper St. Pierre wrote:
>
>      1) Marking dialogs as modal (needed so we can implement the 'attached
>>     modal' visuals of gnome-shell
>>

> I notice this one was ignored. There seems to be some set of people
> working on wayland that hate overlapping windows and want to guarantee they
> are useless.

Considering this was one feature I prototyped a patch for, you have no idea
what you're talking about:

https://github.com/magcius/weston/commit/c1e5a846f4f57400bca1262111f9793e451c5b49

     2) Lowering windows (used e.g. by GtkInspector to get out of the way
>>     when picking a window
>>
>> I'm not comfortable adding this. You can hide briefly the inspector by
>> giving it a 1x1 blank surface and emptying the input region. Perhaps we
>> should make this equivalent to what the "NULL surface" semantics are.
>>

> I agree it would be better to just hide the window. Pointer lock (being
> discussed elsewhere) should not be lost when this happens. It sounds like
> the loss of grabs is why you lower rather than hide in X. Also if your
> client wants to identify the clicked window it will need some privileges.

Pointer lock should totally be lost. I'm not sure why we take a server grab
in the inspector, instead of just a toolkit grab.

  Jasper