xdg shell status and gaps

Jason Ekstrand jason at jlekstrand.net
Thu Sep 25 23:02:59 PDT 2014

https://github.com/magcius/weston/commit/c1e5a846f4f57400bca1262111f9793e451c5b49

>> That patch has nothing to do with what is needed.
>>
>> You don't need a "modal window type". This is trivial for a client to do
by just pretending that whatever keystrokes it gets go to the "modal"
window even if the compositor sends them to a different window.

>> What is needed is a non-flickering and atomic method of creating that
modal window atop the main one and keeping it there. That requires a
parent, not a "modal" flag. (well actually it does not require a parent if
instead there was a way to atomically map and rearrange a set of surfaces,
but I think the parent will be much easier and matches what programmers are
familiar with).

> You mean like the existing set_parent request that has been there since
xdg-shell has landed?

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/wayland/weston/tree/protocol/xdg-shell.xml#n140

If parenting isn't sufficient, it would be easy enough to add a mutter
extension for modal windows in the form of another state enum.  If it turns
out to be a well-defined thing other compositors want, we can think about
moving it to core. In any case, it should be trivial from a protocol point
of view.