xdg shell status and gaps

Jasper St. Pierre jstpierre at mecheye.net
Fri Sep 26 07:38:26 PDT 2014

On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 4:07 AM, Carlos Garnacho <carlosg at gnome.org> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 7:30 PM, Matthias Clasen <
> matthias.clasen at gmail.com> wrote:

> <snip>

>> > When is this useful?
>>
>> One place where it is used is when dragging tabs out of a window to
>> create a new window. gnome-terminal, gedit, nautilus, all do this. But
>> looking closer, the way it is implemented is not actually as a root
>> window drop, specifically, but just any failed drop - if you don't
>> drop on a notebook in the same app that is hooked up to accept the
>> tab, we just treat any failed drop as a change to create a new window.
>> So, what we need is a signal that a drop failed. Not sure we get that,
>> currently ?
>>

> There isn't. IMO it'd be more generally useful notifying about the drag
> being finished. The client that started the drag should already know which
> mimetype was requested. It'd also help retrofit toolkits to wayland, how
> higher layers in GTK+ rely on getting the full press/motion.../release
> events in the drag source client can't be easily circumvented, having a
> consistent ending point for the operation would help lots.
>
> Although... if "drag failed" animations are to be performed by the
> compositor, I think we actually want the drag operation accepted in some
> form, or we'd confusingly get both things happening. For root window drops
> at least, maybe "application/x-rootwindow-drop" from XDND could be reused,
> and have the compositor peer on the wl_data_device so it accepts that
> mimetype.

One of the other things we need, and was on the to-do list a long time ago,
was to support "move" / "copy" DND emblems so that some more information
can be transferred about the context of a drag. I'm not sure if this should
be sent by the source, or can be done entirely by the destination client.

How does this work under XDND?

>   Carlos

  Jasper