EFL/Wayland and xdg-shell

Derek Foreman derekf at osg.samsung.com
Tue Apr 14 08:27:48 PDT 2015

On 14/04/15 01:38 AM, Giulio Camuffo wrote:
>> On 13/04/15 07:31 PM, Daniel Stone wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> The window doesn't know it's rotated. The rotation occurs as part of
>>> the translation into global co-ordinate space (perhaps more than one,
>>> perhaps multiple instances, etc), which the client is unaware of. If
>>> it wasn't unaware of it, things like input would also be broken.
>>
>> It's intended to allow for the usual level of EFL/Enlightenment eye candy.
>>
>> I don't think having a window perpetually at a 35 degree angle is the
>> intended use case - having the app know that the screen has been rotated
>> so it can participate in a glorious animation sequence while its window
>> is transitioning from 0 to 90 degree rotation is.
>
> When the output is rotated you get a geometry event with the transform
> so you can animate all you want, so that use case is already covered.

Eeeh, sort of.  That's kind of an after the fact signal.

As an example I suspect I'm going to overuse in the coming days: If the
compositor is doing some kind of window animation the drop shadows will
all be wrong until the final frame when it sends the output update.

For a full screen application I think that event is enough though.

For a really nice example of this done right, look at an iPad's settings
application after you rotate the tablet.  Everything slides nicely into
place.  Of course, that's a full screen app...

For a screen full of app windows that want to all do that at the same
time things get complicated.  The app would have to make a big window
(axis aligned bounding box of the rotating window) and shape away parts
of it with alpha?

This is of course possible, but I think it could be "better" if the
compositor helped out a bit...  Either by informing the app of its
orientation while performing the rotation, or allowing the app to set
its window rotation so it could handle it itself.