RFC: idle protocol

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Tue Dec 8 05:12:01 PST 2015

Hi Wayland-developers,

at KDE we developed a protocol for our framework kidletime [1]. The idea is to
notify Wayland clients when a wl_seat has been idle for a specified time. We
use this for example for power management, screen locking etc. But a common
use case is also setting a user as away in a chat application.

We think that this protocol can be in general useful for all Wayland based
systems. Our current protocol is attached to this mail. Of course for
integration into wayland protocols the namespace needs adjustments (I'm open
for suggestions).

The reference implementation of the protocol can be found in the KWayland
repository (client at [2], server at [3]).

Best Regards
Martin Gräßlin

[1] http://inqlude.org/libraries/kidletime.html
[2] git://anongit.kde.org/kwayland (path src/client/idle.h and src/client/
idle.cpp)
[3] git://anongit.kde.org/kwayland (path src/server/idle_interface.h and src/
server/idle_interface.cpp)