[RFC wayland-protocols 0/1] Primary selection protocol

cpaul at redhat.com cpaul at redhat.com
Wed Dec 9 15:29:30 PST 2015

From: Lyude <cpaul at redhat.com>

Hi! You guys might remember me; I'm the one who originally wrote the protocol
for using drawing tablets on wayland. As part of the plan to hopefully get
Fedora 24 using Wayland by default, we've been working on adding all of the
things that X provides for GNOME that Wayland currently has no equivalent for so
that the transition from X to Wayland is as seamless as possible. One of these
things happens to be the primary selection clipboard in X [1]. Since this will
never be part of the official protocol (and rightfully so), I've written up a
small protocol for this on Wayland along with a reference implementation of it
on Weston [2].

Right now the only client I've added support for this protocol in the reference
weston implementation is weston-editor. You should be able to test it out by
selecting text, going to another weston-editor instance, and middle clicking.

Let me know what you all think, cheers!
	Lyude (aka Stephen Chandler Paul)

[1] https://wiki.gnome.org/Initiatives/Wayland/PrimarySelection
[2] https://github.com/Lyude/weston/tree/preview/primary-selection-v1

Lyude (1):
  Add Primary Selection Protocol Version 1

 Makefile.am                                        |  1 +
 unstable/primary-selection/README                  |  4 +
 .../primary-selection-unstable-v1.xml              | 87 ++++++++++++++++++++++
 3 files changed, 92 insertions(+)
 create mode 100644 unstable/primary-selection/README
 create mode 100644 unstable/primary-selection/primary-selection-unstable-v1.xml

--
2.5.0