Inconsistency with scaler extension?

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 05:16:57 PST 2015

On Mon, 14 Dec 2015 13:00:06 +0000
Daniel Stone <daniel at fooishbar.org> wrote:

> On 14 December 2015 at 12:49, Daniel Stone <daniel at fooishbar.org> wrote:
> > On 14 December 2015 at 11:40, Pekka Paalanen <ppaalanen at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> We easily err on too much repainting, as it is safe. The damage region
> >> handling is one of the most complicated pieces of Weston, and
> >> optimizing it is hard. It also has some known inefficiencies, but yours
> >> is a new observation, IIRC.
> >
> > Is it actually new, or is it just yet another occurrence of
> > https://phabricator.freedesktop.org/T17 ... ?
>
> By which I obviously mean https://phabricator.freedesktop.org/T18

I think it's a different issue. But yes, pointing out T18 was in my
mind, just lazy to look it up. :-)

T18 is about window management causing unnecessary GL texture uploads,
while here we are looking at excessive repaints. So T18 is about
weston_surface_damage doing the wrong thing, while the issue here would
be akin to calling weston_surface_damage at inappropriate times in the
first place.

Because of T18, moving a window might sometimes "fix" a missing damage
from the client.