[RFC wayland] Track protocol object versions inside wl_proxy.

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 06:30:52 PST 2015

On Fri, 18 Dec 2015 12:26:53 -0600
Derek Foreman <derekf at osg.samsung.com> wrote:

> Just a quick ping on this because conversation has died down and nobody
> actually gave a RB or any suggestions for change.
>
> Someone flagged the patch as RFC in patchwork so it disappeared and I'm
> wondering if people may have thought it landed...
>
> Where are we at with this?
>
> I got Jason's RB on my trivial follow up that makes display's version 0.

Hi,

I just R-b'd them both with minor comments.

> Should I squash that patch into this one and repost?  (That way we won't
> have a commit with potentially weird behaviour...)

I don't mind either way. Which ever seems better to you.

But, there is one thing I'd like to ask for: tests.

We should have few simple tests that check the version inheritance
actually works. You could invent a tiny protocol extension for it where
you can just create children from an object whose version you can pick
from 1 to 5, for instance. Then check that inheritance works.

Even better if we can get tests for ensuring unversioned things
actually get zeroes.

But at least one simple test when landing this, please.