libinput: the road to 1.0

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Mon Feb 23 13:35:26 PST 2015

On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 10:50:48AM +0100, Michal Suchanek wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I heard there is attempt to collect a database of mouse speeds (DPI)
> so all mice behave the same.

yep, look at the hwdb/70-mouse.hwdb file in the systemd repo. it's fairly
easy to add to it.

> What is the semantic of speed for trackballs? Technically the DPI of
> scanning the ball movement can be determined and is often part of the
> specification but the perceived speed will likely depend on ball size
> and mounting as well.

The actual sensor will have some fixed resolution as well, just like the
mice. I'd say put that into the database (which doesn't care about mouse vs
trackball anyway, libinput doesn't either) and anything else should be
controlled via the normal speed settings. The trackball size has a lot less
influence on the speed than the sensor control so I think that should work
just fine.

Cheers,
   Peter