wl_test / accessibility

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 00:03:24 PST 2015

On Mon, 12 Jan 2015 13:03:24 -0600
Derek Foreman <derekf at osg.samsung.com> wrote:

> On 11/01/15 04:37 PM, Mike Gorse wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was curious whether wl_test (from weston) is intended to eventually be
> > moved into wayland. I'm asking because it contains functionality (such
> > as being able to track and move the mouse pointer) that the Orca screen
> > reader relies on[1], so I'm trying to decide whether it makes sense to
> > use wl_test for this, or if we should do something else.
>
> wl_test is for doing things clients shouldn't be allowed to do.  It
> won't ever be generally available.
>
> The link you provided says it well:
> "All of these features violate the careful separation between clients
> that Wayland maintains ..."

Correct. wl_test is only used by Weston's test suite, and it's not even
available from Weston unless you execute Weston with a "I know I am
doing bad things" way from a build tree. It's not available at all from
an installed version of Weston. This is all very deliberate, and
wl_test will never be available in production environment.