cross-client surface references

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Thu Jul 9 02:37:06 PDT 2015

On Thu, 2015-07-09 at 02:19 -0700, Jasper St. Pierre wrote:
> My issue with this is that you're tying two things together. You want
> access to """a surface""", and you think you can do this by having
> global cross-client objects and handles and such. I don't see a need
> for this. We can just add a new protocol that does what we want.

I don't understand your disagreement. The protocol you sketch out is
exactly the same as the one Jonas sketched, only with different names
(sandboxed_surface instead of xdg_foreign), and it is very much a
global cross-client object handle.

I obviously don't want the actual XdgSurface object from the other
client, that would be insane. I just want a reference/handle/name for
it in my client so that i can pass it as an argument to
my_xdg_surface.set_parent()