cross-client surface references

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 23:20:17 PDT 2015

On Thu, 09 Jul 2015 09:13:54 -0700
Bill Spitzak <spitzak at gmail.com> wrote:

> I thought about having the ID work only once like you propose, but I
> think this means that a client must be able to create unlimited ID's per
> object, and thus a malicious one can fill up the server's map from ID to
> object.

If that was of any real concern, we would already be completely screwed
from the day of Wayland 1.0.

Nothing in the protocol says a client cannot create a bajillion
wl_surface objects, and those objects take likely a lot more memory in
the compositor than some ID map entries.

There is no problem to solve in protocol here.

If a compositor is concerned about its own resource usage, it should
account allocations to clients, and when a client exceeds a limit,
disconnect it. We don't need that in protocol.