autostart of app(s) while weston starts

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 09:25:36 PDT 2015

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 2:05 AM, Pekka Paalanen <ppaalanen at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Jun 2015 09:40:51 +0200
> Christian Hartmann <cornogle at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > is it possible to autostart of app(s) while weston starts ??
> > Would be nice to have such an feature, if its not present yet,
> > I can sent an email to wayland-devel-request :) *if its not done
> > already by another user*
>
> It's a missing feature:
>
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2014-October/017971.html
>
> In summary, there were patches to implement it in weston-desktop-shell,
> but that will misbehave if weston-desktop-shell ever restarts
> (crashes): it would launch the apps again. So it should be implemented
> in Weston.
>
> So far no-one has had the time to get back to that, AFAIK.

It seems like it would be possible for Weston to pass a switch or
environment variable telling the shell that it is being restarted rather
than the initial run. It does make more sense for this to be in the shell.

Another possibility is to require autostart to check if the things being
started are already running.